President/ Executive Director
Rockwall TX 75087
The executive director of a Chamber of Commerce is a key representative and advocate for business owners and employers in a community. According to the American Chamber of Commerce Executives, there are about 3,000 independent U.S. chambers with unique goals determined by diverse groups of members. Despite differences, all chamber directors work to promote and strengthen their communities by building prosperity through a healthy economy and a strong business sector.
Rockwall is the smallest county in Texas. The City of Rockwall was named for the rock formation underground after the town founders could not agree on naming the town after one of them. Rockwall and the communities that surround it are among the fastest-growing populations in the state. CNN’s Money.com voted Rockwall as the best U.S. city for job growth in 2011. That same year, Rockwall’s retail market and shopping was voted best in growth across Texas by Texas Retail Survey. Despite the many awards and accolades in the years following, Rockwall still maintains its family-friendly, small-town atmosphere. This is what makes it the perfect place to grow a business, raise a family and enjoy an unrivaled quality of life.
Residents benefit from affordable housing choices, excellent health care facilities, and outdoor recreation opportunities. The Coast of Rockwall is located on the shoreline of the pristine Lake Ray Hubbard, a 22,000-acre recreational lake. Lake Ray Hubbard is a center for all water activities and the perfect place for fishing and relaxing. With 111 miles of rolling shoreline and more than 10 miles of wilderness trails, Rockwall is an excellent hiking/biking destination. Educational opportunities include public and private K-12 schools along with the local College and Universities within a short 30-40-minute drive. Rockwall is rich in corporate relocations. Rockwall was voted #1 in Job Creation by CNN Money magazine…the Rockwall-Heath area is home to award winning employers! One such company, GMR was recently recognized for their excellence in quality, service and value.
Rockwall County’s business environment is diverse, with Channell Commercial Corporation is a first class, global telecommunication technology supplier, and Special Products Manufacturing (SPM), a contract manufacturer specializing in electro-mechanical assembly, precision metal fabrication, machining, welding and powder coating. as the top employers in the technology park. Other major employers include Rockwall Independent School District, BIMBO Bakery, and major retail stores and restaurants.
Rockwall County, the county seat of government, is a dynamic business market; located along the busy Interstate 30 corridor. Rockwall is 25 miles east of Dallas. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has an area of 149 square miles, of which 127 square miles is land and 22 square miles (15%) is water.
The Chamber is governed by non-compensated, volunteer board members, with equal representation. Directors are elected for three-year terms and are limited to two consecutive terms plus any preceding partial terms resulting from an appointment to a vacated position.
The President/ Executive Director reports to the 20-member board of the Chamber. The position supervises a 5-6-member Chamber staff and is responsible for interacting with executives and employees of Chamber member organizations; state and national elected officials and their staffs; representatives of other public and private sector partnership organizations; education officials; and members of the media. The Chamber budget is $924,000 and currently has approximately 900 members representing approximately 15,000 employees.
The President of the Rockwall Area Chamber of Commerce provides the leadership, direction, and management and general supervision for all aspects of Chamber activities under the direction of the Chair and Executive Board and the Board of Directors. He/She will serve as the ambassador of The Chamber in the community, representing the organization. Direct reports to this position include Vice President of Partner Engagement, and Business Manager of Finance/ Admin/HR. The President will be responsible for providing members with outstanding investment value while managing the cost of operations and delivering superior results.
The President is responsible for effectively implementing the strategic initiatives and policies of the Board of Directors. The President serves as a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors and reports to the Chairman of the Board of Directors. The President is responsible for maintaining continuity and consistency in programming for the core business units of the Chamber. The Chamber believes that providing an exceptional member experience is critical to its success, so the successful candidate will consistently operate with a “customer first” focus while recognizing that the entire Chamber team is the conduit for that focus.
In conjunction with the Chair, the President serves as the principal advocate and spokesperson for the Chamber. The President works closely with a wide range of constituencies throughout Rockwall County in the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors to build support and coalitions consistent with the Chamber’s overall business and community building mission and priorities.
This position is responsible to the Boards of Directors for the full range of activities of the Chamber, coordination of the program of work for the Chamber and economic development efforts; organizational structure and procedures; motivation of volunteers; income and expenditures; maintenance of membership and investors; employment, professional development, training and supervision of staff; interpretation of policy; and maintenance of building. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successfully managing a complex and diverse organization that provides the highest quality of service to its members, customers and stakeholders. They must be a visionary/strategic leader with relationship development, operations and administration experience.
As the chief executive of the organization, the President is responsible to ensure the Chamber’s success in meeting its business advocacy, community development, membership services, and special program goals and objectives. Specifically, the President is responsible for the following essential functions:
- Manage all aspects of membership relations, development and retention.
- Recruit, manage, motivate, develop and retain a high-caliber team of professionals.
- Ensure that The Chamber is managed and maintained to a minimum “4 STAR” accredited chamber of commerce and that The Chamber continues to deliver an exceptional customer experience and fosters a strong sense of “community”.
- Maintain a strategic vision for Rockwall business community and insure that business and operational decisions are made consistent with the strategic plan while continuing to manage the detailed aspects of the operations.
- Creatively and entrepreneurially identify ways to add value to The Chamber’s assets and execute accordingly.
- Work with the staff; marketing/sales, accounting and other teams to develop annual strategic plan updates and annual operating and capital expenditure budgets and aggressively manage these budgets throughout the year.
- Develop a strong marketing plan consistent with the strategic vision that takes into consideration the continual building of the brand and image of The Chamber, especially through social media and new channels of outreach keeping in mind membership value, engagement and financial support.
- Build and maintain an effective working relationship with the board.
- Be equally comfortable out front or in a supporting role to the board.
- Be seen as a soft spoken, behind the scenes collaborator.
- Serve at the Boards direction while providing advice and counsel on policy issues and effective communication and coordination on matters important to the overall policy direction and management of The Chamber.
- Develop a strong collaborative working relationship with the Board and provide relevant information necessary to enable the Board to make informed decisions.
- Assist and advise the Board in its planning responsibilities by developing and directing the planning process to generate short and long-term objectives and strategies.
- Communicate regularly with the Board regarding internal operations and external stakeholder relations and encourage and invite Board member participation in various events as appropriate.
- Maintain effective working relationships with various governmental and municipal departments, agencies and elected officials related to the mission of The Chamber and its goals.
- Represent The Chamber before the news media in press conferences, interviews, radio and television and social media platforms and appearances.
- Represent The Chamber as a speaker and as a resource person in meetings, service clubs, professional societies and other interested groups.
- Collaborate with the Board and Business & Legislative Affairs committee to identify the Chamber’s relationships with relevant local, regional, state, and federal government bodies.
- Manage these relationships with government officials, delivering testimony on our positions, and coalition-building among those with similar views.
- Communicate with local and national stakeholders (members and non-members) continually to identify their needs in order to advise the Board on areas for improvement and potential development of new programs and advocacy initiatives.
- Provide strategic vision, leadership and guidance to ensure successful succession and employee development plans across all functions of The Chamber.
- Provide leadership to maintain an organizational culture of excellence, respect, diversity, and collaboration among individuals
- Examine the current organizational structure and how its alignment serves its members; determine the most appropriate structure of efficiency in order to increase internal communication, empower staff to make decisions and promote new thought inside the organization.
- Ability to build and mentor strong teams while driving for results and promoting staff unity through teamwork and collaboration.
- Work with Chamber committees to identify issues and needs and develop plans to address them and evaluate effectiveness and measure progress toward attainment.
- Dedicate time and resources to develop and motivate staff and encourage employees to work together as teams, build partnerships, alliances and groups that will allow for new technology, approaches, ideas and strategic thinking to take place inside The Chamber.
Member (Partner) Relationships
- Manage a member-centric organization with an emphasis on customer service.
- Show sensitivity and appreciation for the diverse requirements of each Chamber’s individual member; provide appropriate time, resources and commitment regardless of their level of involvement, commitment or profile in the industry; provide equal recognition and support as needed to all members.
- Give particular attention to the development and performance of membership services designed to meet member needs.
- Manage the resources of The Chamber consistent with the Board’s policies in order to achieve efficient and effective programs and services for members.
- Oversee The Chamber’s membership promotion and retention efforts.
- Demonstrate strong financial management and business acumen with the leadership skills to successfully create, implement and meet the budget guidelines of the Chamber’s business advocacy, regional development, and member services goals.
- Decisive with the ability to make rapid decisions with available information and skilled in persuading and influencing others.
- Understand the current economic and political climate and how this climate will continuously shape the future of The Chamber.
- Extensive experience planning and implementing new projects and initiatives to build a more effective, sustainable and sound organization.
- Experience developing and implementing metrics used to evaluate individual and overall performance, budgets, cost effectiveness and returns on investments to increase the bottom line and operational performance.
- Strong financial orientation and able to identify inefficiencies and areas of potential cost reduction or revenues streams for growth.
- Work with the staff and other teams to develop annual strategic plan updates and annual operating and capital expenditure budgets and manage these budgets throughout the year.
The candidate should possess the attributes in the following areas:
- Highly professional, mature, honest, even tempered, trusting, confident, charismatic and personable with integrity and ethics above reproach.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to lobby, advocate and to build networks and strategic partnerships on behalf of the organization.
- Able to be politically savvy without being political.
- High level of energy and a sense of urgency.
- A facilitator, negotiator, strategic thinker and consensus builder.
- An executive with a high level of intelligence, persuasiveness, creativity and vision.
- Innovative, compassionate, transparent executive who is inclusive in his/her decision making process and willing to delegate responsibility when appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation and writing skills and able to grasp situations/circumstances and respond timely and accurately.
- Results oriented individual with a dedication to accuracy, efficiency and on time delivery with quality and an appropriate sense of urgency at the forefront of all decisions.
- Strategic leader, open-minded communicator and critical thinker who is unwilling to let challenges prevent success, but rather looks at challenges as opportunities for success.
- Professional judgment including practical approach, appropriate risk taking and political savvy to lead The Chamber through its next phase of growth.
- Demonstrated ability to unify teams, communities and people during complicated times.
- Proactive leader who listens and encourages, mentors and motivates employees and teams to think critically, strategically and creatively while developing solutions to problems that will provide vision and success for The Chamber.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for any chamber of commerce, economic development or perhaps private sector executive. The Chamber enjoys solid reputations in the region’s business sector. The organization is in a solid fiscal position and, despite general challenges in other areas of the country and other business structures; community leaders see a positive future for Rockwall County. This organization has an engaged staff, committed Board members and excited volunteer base. Together these constituents are looking for an executive leader who can accept this exciting opportunity to help guide the entire Rockwall County community and Chamber to new levels of success. The candidate can be either a current or past CEO or President or a high potential executive in a significant leadership role with executive presence/gravitas.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record (10 years of experience and increasing responsibilities) of success and may come from a variety of backgrounds in a public or private business, organization, and management association or corporation. Specific experience in association management, economic development or in the corporate world would be considered an asset. He/She must demonstrate a commitment to continued professional development. Additionally, community involvement through board service is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required; an advanced degree in business or public administration or related field is desirable. Previous Chamber of Commerce experience preferred with IOM, CCE or CAE designation a plus. and a Master’s degree in business or public administration is preferred.
Competitive Salary commensurate with background and experience and benefits package.
To be considered qualified candidates are required to submit both a resume and cover letter. Resumes are to be submitted to email@example.com